Portfolio Manager III
Are you someone who seeks opportunity and has a true desire to grow your career with an organization that has enriched the lives of its clients and communities in the Greater Washington region for more than 150 years? If so, Sandy Spring Bank may be the perfect fit for you!
Sandy Spring Bank is a growing financial services company focused on creating real experiences for our employees, clients, shareholders and communities. We are proud to have been recognized by The Washington Post and the Baltimore Sun as a Top Workplace, as well as by Forbes magazine as the #1 Bank in Maryland. It is our employees who play an integral role in shaping who we are as a company and upholding what matters most to us: people and relationships.
To help us attract the highest quality individuals, we offer a comprehensive benefits package to those who qualify. We offer competitive market salaries, paid time off, multiple retirement savings options, full health care options, life insurance, health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, career development opportunities, tuition assistance and volunteer opportunities. We are proud to offer those, and so much more, making Sandy Spring Bank a remarkable place to work and build a career.
About The Job
Sandy Spring Bank is currently recruiting for a Portfolio Manager III in the Credit Department. If you are the chosen candidate, you will be responsible for underwriting and managing a substantial portfolio of business loans, both secured and unsecured; Responsibilities include underwriting and portfolio management. Portfolio Manager is primarily responsible for monitoring lending relationships to detect any deteriorations; Monitoring loan covenants and performing Portfolio Reviews; Preparing problem loan reports; Underwriting for Loan Approvals for new loan requests and existing relationships; In addition, participates in calling on prospective and existing clients; as needed to support and grow portfolio while maintaining satisfactory asset quality and sufficient returns.
Areas of focus:
Evaluates and recommends loan requests for approval; Ensures acceptable credit quality in the region’s portfolio by complying with the Bank’s credit policy; Handles underwriting on all new requests, renewals, and restructures of existing loans. Performs financial analysis of borrower and determines strengths and weaknesses. Prepares MCLARs, Portfolio Reviews and Watch List Reports with input from the CRM; Collaborates with RM to obtain answers from client and obtain additional financial information needed to complete a loan package; PM completes the Credit Package and forwards package to obtain necessary signatures for approval.
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT (35%)
Identifies problem assets and develops an action plan; Collaborates with Portfolio Administrator and Relationship Manager to manage delinquencies, financial statement and documentation exceptions; Monitors past due and coming due loans; Maintains Guideline/ Policy exceptions within desired limits; Works with Loan Tracking Administrator to ensure that requests for financial statement information is sent out in a timely fashion, the ticklers are accurate and the letters are complete prior to sending; Provides follow-up assistance on collecting past due financial statements as needed. Demonstrates understanding of loan rating system and properly grades loans.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT (20%)
Broadens and deepens existing lending relationships; Assists Relationship Manager to generate cross-sell opportunities; grow relationship profitability; achieve sales goals and achieve asset quality targets. Assists Relationship Manager by preparing for and calling on clients and prospects as well as negotiating loan terms and structure; when enlisted by the Relationship Manager.
LOAN CLOSING/ PROCESSING (10%)
For renewals, PM assists RM and PA, when needed, to ensure all procedures are followed and due diligence is performed. For loan renewals, PM determines if real estate is involved and type of property valuation report to be ordered. PM requests PA to order if fee has been collected; RM and PM are responsible for reviewing externally prepared documents; PM acts as back up in closing loans and witnesses borrower executing documents, as needed.
- Position requires a seasoned, professional level of knowledge and skill gained through broad experience in commercial banking combined with a thorough understanding of commercial banking concepts and practices. In depth knowledge of commercial underwriting guidelines and related regulations. Level I, II, and III will be commensurate with related work experience, demonstrated performance ability, and size and complexity of assigned portfolio. Level I will require a minimum of 5 years of related work experience.
- Ability to utilize standard PC based software to prepare correspondence, reports, and other documents as needed.
- Strong communication, analytical and presentation skills are needed to effectively work with clients to explain products and interpret policy. Inter-personal skills are needed to maintain positive rapport with internal contacts. Strong organizational skills are required. Must prioritize multiple duties while attending to detail.
- Various situations require a substantial degree of analysis, interpretation and evaluation. Situations encountered include facts, issues and circumstances, which are significantly different from those previously addressed. These situations call for the consideration of alternative courses of action and of their consequences before taking or recommending further action.
- Position makes decisions within the framework of practices and procedures and/or precedents or well-defined policies.
Sandy Spring Bank provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We maintain a drug-free workplace environment.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position, please call our job line at 1-800-399-5919 and select option 5. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.