Business Continuity Planner-Maryland (Columbia)
Are you someone who seeks opportunity and has a
true desire to grow your career with an organization that has enriched the
lives of clients and communities in the Washington, D.C. region for 150
years? If so, Sandy Spring Bank may be
the perfect fit for you!
Sandy Spring Bank is a growing financial
services company focused on creating remarkable experiences for our employees,
clients, shareholders and communities.
We are proud to be recognized by The Washington Post and the Baltimore
Sun as a 2019 Top Workplace, as well as Forbes magazine as the #1
Bank in Maryland for 2019. It is our employees who play an integral role in
shaping who we are as a company and upholding what matter most to us: people
To help us attract the highest quality
individuals, we offer a comprehensive benefits package to those who
qualify. We offer competitive market salaries, paid time off, multiple
retirement savings options, full health care options, life insurance, health
care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, career development
opportunities, tuition assistance and volunteer opportunities. We are proud to offer those, and so much
more, making Sandy Spring Bank a desirable place to work and build a career.
About The Job
Location: Maryland (Columbia)
Sandy Spring Bank is currently
recruiting for a Business Continuity Planner in the Corporate Security
Department. If you are the chosen candidate, you will be responsible for developing,
implementing, maintaining, and administering the Company’s Business Continuity
Program for recovery from all types of business disruptions and risks,
(natural, technical, geopolitical, accidental, workforce, and supplier) across
the Bank’s geographic footprint, and with all business lines. This position will
maintain the web-based software platform that retains all enterprise-wide
BCP/DR/Crisis Management documentation. This position will liaison with the
BC/DR vendor, the Business Continuity Committee (BCC), and all internal
Department Planners and Approvers, providing guidance, training, and
recommendations to enhance the Company’s overall contingency planning, disaster
recovery, and operational resiliency.
Areas of focus:
Develop and administer the Business
Continuity Program components, including:
- Program operating framework, maintaining business continuity plans, risk assessment, business impact analysis, exercising, training and awareness, and program improvement.
- Facilitate the continued development of the BC Program disciplines that address the response, recovery, restoration, and resilience needs of the Bank.
- Facilitate the development, exercising and maintenance of response, recovery and restoration plans to deal with a broad range of emerging or newly recognized risks that could cause disruptions in business operations. These risks include, but are not limited to, weather-related events, fires, pandemics, terrorist acts, criminal acts, or political or social turmoil.
- Work across many different internal and external groups to ensure the success and effectiveness of the BC Program, working with the Business Continuity Committee Members, Risk Management, Vendor Management, lines of business/departmental managers, Department Planners and Approvers, IT, human resources, legal/compliance, audit, information security, physical security, facilities management, suppliers and business partners, government agencies/first responders, utilities, insurance firms, regulators, and the media.
- Maintain the BC Program governance framework, to include its Charter, policies, operating structure, monthly Business Continuity Committee agenda, standards and guidelines.
- Work in conjunction and in support the risk management function and business lines to identify and assess business disruption risks and their impacts associated with current business practices, strategic plans, and mitigation controls.
- Continue to develop and implement an enterprise-wide BC awareness and education program to ensure that all personnel clearly understand their responsibilities before, during and after a business disruption, or DR event.
- Work closely with business units, the IT department, information and physical security, and external parties to establish and regularly review key business strategies in alignment with BC needs, including the recovery and restoration of mission-critical business processes, personnel, data and equipment.
- Work with IT to understand and develop cross-enterprise interdependencies with applications used by many business units across the enterprise.
- Work with Facilities and Vendor Management to coordinate and facilitate cross-enterprise BC exercises, including those with suppliers and business partners.
- Coordinate and work with Marketing and HR to deliver all enterprise communications to internal and external stakeholders regarding the status of the BC Program, including annual reporting, audit report response.
- Advise business units and the IT department in conducting risk assessments and business impact analyses; in developing appropriate business disruption risk mitigation strategies and controls; and in creating, implementing, exercising, and maintaining BC and disaster recovery plans
- Assist business and support functions in evaluating tools and technology that support the enterprise's response, recovery and restoration strategies
- The minimum required is a bachelor's degree in business, business continuity, crisis management, risk management, IT, or related field.
- Preferred Business Continuity certifications and NIMS/ICS certification.
- Minimum of two years' experience in implementing BC, IT, disaster recovery and crisis management plans.
- Preferred experience in BC/IT disaster recovery within the Financial industry.
- Preferred experience in defining, implementing and enforcing risk-based standards, processes and procedures for responding to disruptions in business or IT operations.
- Experience in teaching and/or working with workgroups and teams as well as self-directed professionals to meet goals across multiple business lines and projects.
- Experience working as a liaison with regulatory bodies, government agencies, and other compliance-oriented entities — internal and external.
- Experience in creating and defining new operational models and procedures, and explaining complex problems or situations
- The ability to work long hours and succeed under stressful conditions, such as business-related crises in the event of a disruption or disaster.
- Strong organizational skills to track multiple priorities along with excellent writing, grammar, and proof reading skills.
- Advanced computer skill level with word processing, spreadsheets, and database applications (Outlook, SharePoint, Excel and WORD).
- Analytical ability in researching and analyzing data pertaining to problems of a routine nature where selection of alternatives is limited or not well defined, but where standard procedures are established.
- Work requires diverse internal and external contacts in furnishing and obtaining information.
- Position includes exposure to information of a highly confidential nature requiring confidentiality, tact and discretion.
- Work is under occasional supervision where independent judgment is sometimes required in the interpretation of existing policies and procedures and the guidelines are limited. Refers unusual matters to supervisor or other staff.
Sandy Spring Bank is an Equal Opportunity
Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any
other characteristic protected by law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace environment and perform pre-employment
substance abuse testing.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to
apply for a position, please call our job line at 1-800-399-5919 and select
option 5. Requests are considered on a